Skip to main content

Movie Review: Dead Poets Society

“Oh Captain, my Captain!” words of the Dead Poets Society; an ambiguous word it is. “Oh Captain, my Captain!” Yawp of angry men fighting for what they believe in. The movie Dead Poets Society is set in 1959 at a fictional elite conservative Vermont Boarding School Welton Academy or as the students call it “Hell-ton” Academy.
            The movie expressed strong views upon the views of the students. Mr. John Keating, played by renowned actor Robin Williams, was inspired by the writer’s experiences. The script was written by Tom Schulman and he wrote it based on his experiences at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville, Tennessee, particularly with his teacher, Samuel Pickering. There is also a scene in the original copy of the script wherein the audience was supposed to see mr. keating dying at a hospital but was later removed by the director himself, Peter Weir.
            The film debuted early June of 1989. It received great views and has had nineteen awards and eighteen nominations. The most prominent awards it has received are the Best Writing and Screenplay at the 1990 Academy Awards, Best Foreign Director at an Italian Journalism event, Best Film and Original Film Score at the BAFTA Film Awards, Top Box Office Films at the ASCAP awards, all in the same year. Also in 1991, it won the Best Foreign Film award at the César Awards in France. There are many more awards garnered by the film; the latest would be their 2016 awards.
            Personally, the movie does have room for improvements. The beginning of the film was too slow and contained many dead air scenes that could have been left out without sacrificing the story of the film, honestly it did make me fall asleep due to slow progress. The climax and falling action, along with the denouement, felt too fast. It ended quickly which made me feel like there was supposed to be more to it. It felt like something was missing.
            For the technical aspect of the film, considering it was made back in 1989, the cinematography was good enough. The actors were fairly good, I just hoped for a better exposure for all the characters. They brought in more characters than what they could expose. Some characters were too extra to be even given a name. I wish they could have given Meeks like a small part of the film where they could showcase his own story.
            Overall, the film was not that bad and it would depend on who is watching it whether it was outstanding, exceptional, fairly good, or bad. As for me, it was ok. It wasn’t the worst movie I have ever seen but definitely I‘ve seen better movies that are even older than this one.  I give it a six out of ten rating.

            Would I recommend this? I personally wouldn’t, but it depends on you. IMDb gave it a rating of 8.1 out of 10, and received an 86% rating from rotten tomatoes. Also for further understanding and analysis, there are adaptations of the movie as well; a novel with the same title whose author is N.H. Kleinbaum published in 1989, and a Broadway adaptation re-written by the original writer Tom Schulman and directed by John Doyle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What A Family Should Be (Reflective Essay)

            What comes into your mind when you hear the word family? You might say your parents, mom, dad, sister, brother, relatives. But what about those people who are orphaned or abandoned by their own family? Let me tell you this, family is not about blood-relatives or who bore you. Family is about having people who loves you unconditionally.           Not everyone will find family in their own home. For some, family is where the heart feels happy, free, and loved. Your family should not make you feel less of a human. They should always be the one encouraging you to do your best. They are the ones who would be pulling you up when your life is going downhill. You might find these characteristics of a family from other people like your closest friends or significant other.           I found my family with the people whom I spent 5 years of my life with. The...

Five-Ingredient Fix for Being an Active Student in Senior High School

How do you survive senior high school when you're not an active student? How do you determine if you are an active student or not? Let me give you an example; I was the HUMSS representative back in grade 11, and now the student council president. From Mondays to Fridays, I wake up at 5:00 am to go to a public school to immerse for our Community Engagement subject. I got to school afterwards. School finishes at 5:00 pm, and depending on my travel time I arrive at home from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. On weekends, I wake up at 3:00 am to go to DZXL RMN in Makati for our work immersion and come home from 9:00 pm to 11:00 pm. I still have additional homeworks, activities, and tasks to finish. Based on experience, I can guarantee you, it will be difficult. There are time that I just want to give up, sleep, and don't come to school the next morning. But then, you'll just prove that you are weak, you don't have what it takes to reach your dreams. This is a guide for those, like me, fi...

Selfless, Kind and Loving

I can say I know a great person who has the biggest heart; who I look up to as to being selfless. My uncle, he is born in a family with 9 other siblings. Their father died at the age of 45 years old leaving their mom the responsibility to provide for the whole family. Being one of the eldest, he did everything for his younger siblings to get the education they need. He never finished elementary, only up to grade two. He worked day and night at a young age just to send his siblings to school. He never learned how to read or write, but he used his talent to provide for them.             He became one the most sought after makeup artist of his time. His regular customers were Kristy Fermin, who is a good friend of his now, Kris Aquino who acknowledged him every time they would shoot “The Buzz”, Marian Rivera, for special occasions, and many more celebrities.             He is ...